Backpack Food Program
The Backpack Food program is an initiative of Feeding Our Community Partners (FOCP), a nonprofit organization focused on ending hunger locally. The program discretely provides low-income elementary students with packs of nutritious, child-friendly food to sustain them over weekends and school breaks.
1 in 6 children in Blue Earth County do not have access to the amount of food necessary for a healthy life (Feeding America-Map the Meal Gap Report-County Overall). Backpack Food Program strives to reach 1,200 food-insecure elementary students in Blue Earth County and North Mankato by the end of the 2015-2016 school year.
"I'm so thrilled that fewer kids are going hungry. I used to worry about kids over the weekend and breaks being hungry. I didn't have to this year because of this program!" - 2nd grade teacher.
Imperial Plastics has the opportunity to make a difference in these children's lives and help the Backpack Food Program reach their goal.
Top 3 Improvements in students noted by teachers:
1. Increased energy
2. Relationships with school personnel
3. Ability to concentrate
1. Employees of each company will compete against the employees of other participating companies by raising money for the Backpack Food Program. The teams are competing to raise the highest dollar amount. Team "dollar" totals will equal the total amount from all three acceptable types of donations:
- Food Items - counted as $ amount per item (acceptable food items are listedhere)
- Volunteer Hour - counted as $10 per person/hr
- Dollar - $1
2. Money can be raised in many different and creative ways. If anyone has any creative ideas on how Imperial can raise money, don't hesitate to send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Some examples of ways to raise money are silent auctions, bake sale, lunch buffet, slips door-to-door, etc.
3. The competition is from June 1 - June 31. The date for announcing the winner is to be determined, the representative from each company team will meet back at Backpack Central to go over highlights they experienced throughout the month.
4. Most importantly, have fun! It's not about winning, it's about helping children in our community.
The prize, other than helping children in need, is a trophy. This will have the company name and winning year on it and be displayed at the winning team's company until 2017 when the next competition begins. The fundraising is in Mankato but if you are not located in Mankato and are interested in donating please e-mail email@example.com
For more information about this cause please visit www.feedingourcommunitiespartners.org